Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Fabric Stash

I enjoy visiting friends who sew and I always ask to see their fabric stash. A fabric stash is like an art collection no matter the size or type of projects made. This summer I cleaned out my entire house and you might be surprised at the relatively small size of my stash given I had a dressmaking business for many years. All fabrics are stored in this tall cabinet.
My stash is the top shelf of the cabinet. The left column are knits, the center column are wovens, and the right column are couture fabrics. The second shelf contains three years of Burda Style magazine, interfacing, muslin, and sewing books. One bulky coating fabric and one faux fur cut are stored elsewhere.
An entire drawer of linings, mainly silk charmeuse, silk habotai, and 4-way jersey lining.
Finally, a drawer of evening fabrics from lace to silk crepe.
After years of a multi-room stash I feel free to explore any sewing direction I wish without guilt. It took a few years to get the stash "lean and mean" but now the job is done and I am so happy with the result. I am busy sewing a few of the woven fabrics into trousers and blouses to wear while working as a special education teacher. Then I am looking forward to a couture project!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is quite lean. Mine is basically a store, but I too am working on pairing, at least a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      Thank you for making me laugh with your reply!
      Ann

      Delete
  2. And what a pretty way to store your stash. Mine (which is far to large) is in plastic tubs in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic tubs work too! Plus your stash is an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Have a great day.
      Ann

      Delete